market-farming - [Market-farming] Tomato boxes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Judy Lynn" <hayesjl AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Tomato boxes
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 12:33:58 -0700

I am growing heirloom tomatoes for the market and this is my first year.  I was browsing the market today getting display ideas and I noticed that most tomato growers use a box made for produce to keep from bruising, they keep the tomatoes seperated and neat.  Where would I get such boxes?  I also noticed that the tomatoes were sitting in the sun a bit on the tables at the markets and they got soft fast... doesnt take long in 100 degree heat.  I would need to ensure they would be in the shade all day, however would a mister system help?  Seems like a bit of work, maybe keeping them in coolers and only have one box out at a time.  I also was asking a lady that sold chipolte about where she got her insurance to sell out at the markets.  (my homeowner/vehicle insurance agent doesnt provide that) She told me that it wasnt her job to carry insurance that it was the markets.  I asked her how much the market carried and who to talk to about that and she had no clue. Anything canned or baked she said did not need insurance.  I could have swore this wasnt true... can someone enlighten me on that one too?  Thank you !
  Judy Lynn