market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] rain

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] rain
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 12:54:49 -0400

We got 11 tenths last night following the first 4 full sunny hot days in a row
this spring.
What a difference a little sun makes, and having well drained soils.
Strawberries sweetened up over night the PYO guys are mobbed with customers.
My tomatoes looked better than ever very green and healthy, eggplants doubled
in
size this week after languishing in the cold, peppers recovered from all the
sand blasting during the wind storms that followed the rains in the last
month.
An unexpected problem was slugs in sweetcorn, they chew off the leaves when
the
corn is just coming up and hide under clods and in soil cracks where the corn
breaks through, they don't seem to harm the corn all that much.
Melons were stunted by weather, stressed plants attract cucumber beetles, an
insect that we rarely see around here. Spintor does a good job on beetles.

Forage crops that normally have up to 25% sugar and below 10% cows are unhappy
too.
Heavy rains last night came just in time to loosen soil so the pumpkins and
squash can break through.
Personally I think this will be a good year. for anybody who doesn't have to
punch a time clock its always a good year..Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.