market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] rain

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <bob AT bidumup.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] rain
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 16:24:27 -0500

Got about 2" of rain last night. There is about 5" standing in the garden. I
was waiting till the garden would dry out from the last rain so I could hop
on the tractor and cultivate as the weed pressure grew. That will not happen
till I don't know when. I guess I could go out in a John boat with c tines
and a air motor rigged to it. It has been raining on and off all day. I
think this amount of rain will do in my potatoes and they have already
blossomed. The greens will survive and the edamame soy beans will survive as
the ground is a little higher. The squash will be three feet long before I
will be able to get in to pick any more. Okra survives anything so I expect
they will make it as well. Most of the lettuce has bolted down here in
Texas. My home garden is in Grand Prairie, Tx and is about 3/4 of an acre.
The other is a farm about 40 acres in Hill County zone 8 going on 9 with
only wheat stubble on it right now ready for a over winter cover crop. Even
if I loose what is left the garden, it has really produced this year, but
all the same maybe the cucumbers will just be a little on the big size when
I can get to them. Last week they were mostly about an inch long. The
arugala second planting looks good poking out from the water.
Bob C.