market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Garlic scapes - when to cut

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Mike Bosko" <mjbosko AT jmtsystems.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Garlic scapes - when to cut
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 09:05:35 -0700

I try to wait until I can't snap the scapes off easily with a twist of the
hand. If a few test plants snap off easily, I let them sit a few more days.
Days later, when they don't snap easily, and I need to use a knife, that's
when I remove the scapes from the remaining plants. I have found that they
store longer this way.

In fact, I believe I first read about this in Ron Engeland's book from tests
they ran at Filaree Farms. For me here (Central WA) its seemed to prove
true that the late stalk removal lead to longer shelf life, and the bulbs
haven't seemed to suffer in terms of size, or flavor.

But of course, I think it has a lot to do with location, ground tilth,
amount of irrigation, etc etc etc. Early removal for me here though, seems
to not provide the longer shelf life I get with late removal. But then,
too, if I waited to remove them I'm not able to use them in my morning
eggs -- And that sucks! It's a tough life with all these decisions. hehehe

Mike

JMT SYSTEMS CONSULTING
http://www.jmtsystems.com
info AT jmtsystems.com / 509 968-9015