market-farming - [Market-farming] Suggestion for handling all the market farming email

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Mike Bosko" <mjbosko AT jmtsystems.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Suggestion for handling all the market farming email
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 08:24:58 -0700

Here's a helpful hint for dealing with all the email on this list (and
others):

I just took a look at the message headers coming in from you folks on
Market-Farming, it looks like most of you use MS Outlook for your mail
reader. But this hint goes for most of the other email programs out there
too.

The Market-Farming list is getting more and more popular. Rather than
grudge over the bulk of email you get, be happy about it. Trust me, it
simply means that the list is active, and when you have a question, it will
probably be answered that much quicker!

Outlook (most any popular email program actually) gives you the
functionality for using Filters. Use the filters to move your
market-farming email to a folder of their own as they arrive. This way they
won't muck up your inbox, and you can open up that folder only when you are
in the geek-farming mood (sorry, I'm a true geek so only -I-- can say
that -grin).

I'm subscribed to about 25 different email lists, and if I weren't to do
this, I'd have gone completely crazy by now with all the email floating in
throughout the day. I use the filters to grab all email as it comes in the
'door' and filter it to the appropriate folders that I have setup for them.

Here's how:
In Outlook, open the Rules Wizard (Tools | Rules Wizard). You will be
presented with a wizard for creating your filter (outlook calls them Rules).
I have mine setup as follows:

1. Apply this rule after the message arrives
2. With '[Market-Farming]' in the subject
3. Move it to the MarketFarming folder
4. And stop processing more rules

Basically what this does is: 1) grab a message as it hits your inbox, 2) it
only looks at message with the term, "[Market-Farming]" in the subject (and
you will notice, all messages on this list do), 3) move the message to a
folder I setup as MarketFarming, 4) then stop processing if the message fit
the marketfarming scenario (this way, if you have other filters setup (I
have about 50), Outlook won't have to chunk through all of them, it just
finishes the filtering process).

For help on setting up rules, go to help in Outlook and find help using the
following term, "Create a rule with the Rules Wizard".

If you are using Eudora, Forte' or another email client, search their help
for terms like Filter, Rules, etc. Most likely it's a similar process
(actually Eudora's filters are easier to configure filters than are
Outlook's).

---Ok, sorry for the geek talk, but once you learn about filters, you too
will find that being on more (very useful) lists like this is nothing to
grudge about. And as you learn more about them, you will also find ways to
nearly almost completely (grin) rid of spam email coming into your mailbox.

I hope that helps. Its really the BEST way to work in active email lists
like these. But trust me, I've been on a bunch of lists and the active ones
are the most helpful ones. Ya just need to find a way to make them work for
you, and filters/rules help a lot at this!

Btw, I'm getting my hay cut tomorrow!! Right on time this year, no sign of
rain on the forecast and there's a good drying breeze today. The garden
Gods are looking over me this year. (there, there is my addition of farming
material to keep it legit on the list -snicker)

Hope this helps.

Your friendly Geek Timothy hay/Alfalfa/Garlic Farmer,

Mike

JMT SYSTEMS CONSULTING
http://www.jmtsystems.com
info AT jmtsystems.com / 509 968-9015