market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Hello from another newbie

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Hello from another newbie
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 09:31:37 -0400

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 22:32:57 +0000, you wrote:

> I never thought of mushroom soil and they are just over the
>mountain from me. was there any problems with weeds after applying
>this?

Not particularly.

We had a weed problem BEFORE we used the mushroom-soil, we
still have a weed problem AFTER using it. It doesn't seem
to increase the problem.

>The soil here recompacts very quickly especially with this rain.

Here too. The heavy clay is very hard to work with, to say
the least. That's one reason we are making raised beds, and
essentially filling them up with mushroom-soil.

We put one trowel of lime, plus about two 5-gallon buckets
of peat moss, in our 'grass cart' - then fill it with
mushroom soil, and mix it all up. The mushroom soil is
maybe 2/3 of the mix. Then we use this to fill the raised
beds. We had the garden tilled early this spring, so we're
putting this mixture on top of already-tilled soil.

Anyway: we were, until the garden became impassable and
impossible from all the rain. We're just stalled now.

Our first frost date is usually the first week in October
(we're in the mountains and it gets cold fast here), so if
we don't get summer things planted soon, there won't be much
point in planting them at all.

I'm transplanting some seedlings into big pots (which we
found free last year) on our deck: better to have one
eggplant plant than none, for example. This will provide
veggies for us to eat, but not enough to sell.

Pat