market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] weeds from mushroom compost

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: bockpa AT plesh.com, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] weeds from mushroom compost
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 10:10:36 -0400

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 12:38:41 -0400, you wrote:

>. Now I don't think they sterilize the stuff after they
>gave gotten a couple of mushroom flushes out of it, and so whatever mushroom
>mycelium strain was grown would probably still be in the stuff and if you
>layered this stuff with more manure and other organic goodies, you might end
>up with a flush of those mushrooms on a cool rainy day. I AM NOT SAYING
>THAT IF MUSHROOMS COME UP THAT YOU COULD EAT THEM, IDENTIFY THEM FIRST.
>also the mushroom species typically grown commercially are saprophytic (sp?)
>meaning they eat stuff already dead and dying. You probably won't be
>introducing a BAD fungus that would kill your plants or something.

Last year, everything I grew in it grew fabulously. I grew
plants on the deck, in big containers, in 100% mushroom soil
- nothing else, just the mushroom soil.

This year, the things I'm growing (both on the deck, and in
the few raised beds we managed to get planted before the
monsoons struck) are growing wonderfully. They are really
doing very well: this is quite a variety of plants -
various Asian greens, zucchini, squash, peppers, Swiss
chard, kohlrabi, beets, carrots, collards, tomato, broccoli.

I've had a few small mushrooms pop up, but they could just
as well be poisonous - with spores introduced by the wind -
so we don't eat them.

Pat