market-farming - [Market-farming] Hello from another newbie

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: timmer <timmersplants AT netscape.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Hello from another newbie
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 22:32:57 +0000

My name is Tim(mer) and I garden in rainey rural Pine Grove Pa. I started gardening here last year, when I moved home to help care for my grandmother. My sister then had her second child (b) Alex and I started taking care of him too. I then found inspiration in Bio-dynamic gardening, and decided that I would rather be here with Alex and my family with a lot less income, than return to the high stress world of restaraunt management. I have been lurking in the background, learning and am amazed by the outpouring of help, and community spirit here at this list. Organic gardening hasn't quite caught on here yet, but will eventually. This past Jan I quickly build a greenhouse 8*12 and started all of my own plants. They are currently half planted and the other half look like they are going to mature before seeing their beds. Luckily I started digging 4*25 bed last fall and got six done before everything froze solid. I've noticed alot of people discussing clay soil, and I too am battling with this. Last year a friend of mine started saving all of his coffee grounds from his restaraunt, and I pick them up thurs, and sun. A man with a lawn care biz brings a load of grass clippings almost daily. I raaked every lawn I could last year, and got a couple free loads of saw dust from a saw mill ( no bw that I know of). Well between myself and my brother-in -law, we made a huge amount of compost. We added I belive blood meal to the pile to help break down the saw dust. and I am forgetting that the dairy farmed who brought us a couple loads of manure.
I am not saying that we are finished this is only the begining, as more needs to be added and also green manure will be grown if I can ever plant it. I never thought of mushroom soil and they are just over the mountain from me. was there any problems with weeds after applying this? The soil here recompacts very quickly especially with this rain.
I will be selling the produce at a roadside stand we will be making at a busy intersection. It sees a lot of traffic on Sat and Sun because there is a girl scout camp below us and a boy scout camp above us. Well sorry to write so much, I'll sign off now. Timmer
I'm not nuts squirrels just like me.