market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] landscape timbers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Art Petrzelka <art AT complum.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] landscape timbers
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 14:26:06 -0500

On Friday 06 June 2003 14:20, Nan Johnson wrote:
> Greetings.......someone mentioned they used landscape timbers for raised
> beds - conventional timbers are pressure-treated - hope the ones mentioned
> are not, as they do leach arsenic, though I guess exact extent of harm not

Treated timbers are not allowed for use in livestock operations. Horses and
some cattle will chew on them. It isn't limited to organic production only.

I assume that they would not be allowed in conventional market food
production
either. When I saw the post, it didn't look like they were a market farmer,
and the government still allows you to poison yourself. It's not something
that I would do, although I am rather fond of creosote. :-)
--
Art Petrzelka
Amana, Iowa