market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] landscape timbers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KTCopsey AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] landscape timbers
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 15:03:56 EDT

In a message dated 6/6/03 1:40:08 PM US Eastern Standard Time, pat AT meadows.pair.com writes:

.......someone mentioned they used landscape timbers for raised beds - conventional timbers are pressure-treated - hope the ones mentioned are not, as they do leach arsenic, though I guess exact extent of harm not proven.

The arsenic in treated lumbe has been a major news factor here lately and it can leach into the soi.  Myabe its because I am from England, but why bother with anything????  My beds are basically slightly heaped in the middle and about 8 foot wide.  The edges are mown and weeded and mulch/compost/fabric is put on the top.  I get very little settling out over the winter and just spend a few hard days in the spring piling stuff back to the middle zone.

just some thoughts
Katy
Living just one cornfield away from civilization