market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] New Member Intro

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] New Member Intro
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 13:42:32 -0400

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 12:59:09 EDT, you wrote:

> As well as the more regular stuff including some great lettuce varieties
> and
>herbs.) As most of the greens are brassicas I find them extremely easy to
>grow and very flavorful . . . and suited to small spaces.
>I'd be interested to hear what varieties have worked out well for you. We
>had no problems, except slugs tend to like the baby pac choi . . . and at
>the
>very end of the season, the Osaka Purple got a bit of a white spotted fungus.
>Take care, Nancy

So far this year, I've grown the following

(mostly from Evergreen Seeds, a few from Kitazawa seeds):

Bok Choy, Green Baby - did splendidly, and fast. Picture-
perfect little heads of bok choy with green petioles. I
love this one. We ate the first batch, have succession
plantings.

Dwarf Choy Sum - very good, almost as fast as the Green
Baby. Very nice. Ate it up, have succession plantings
coming along.

Hon Tsai Tai - got big quickly, good, no problems. We ate
this one too, I'll make more plantings for fall.

Komatsuna - growing well, haven't harvested it yet.

Chinese Cabbage, Fluffy Top - still young, growing well.

Tyfon - still young, I'll start snipping leaves off for
salads as soon as I can GET to the garden (through the sea
of mud). (The plants are in raised beds, so they're OK.)

Chinese Kale - Gai Laan - forgot to start the seeds until
last week (even using a software program so I shouldn't
forget things, I still do).

Vitaminna - this one is from Kitazawa Seeds, and is probably
the same thing as your 'Vitamin Green'. Growing along
nicely, haven't harvested yet.

I have one of the Thai eggplants, Shoya Long - it's still in
a 6-cell pack in the house under lights. I started eggplant
seeds very late, I was trying to resist growing them at all
as they're iffy in our location (cool, some cold, nights all
through summer). Just as well, we've had no sun and it's
been very cool so far.

I also have a Chinese cabbage called Shirona (another one
from Kitazawa), this is still under lights in the house.

And a second Komatsuna, this one is called 'Summer Fest' - I
just started that one too.

I've kept them all covered with floating row cover (or nylon
net) as protection against the cabbage butterflies
(otherwise it's useless to try to grow brassicas, in my
experience).

The nylon net lets in flea beatles but the row cover
doesn't. I've controlled the flea beatles with rotenone,
I'd rather use diatomaceous earth but I haven't any and none
is available locally. I may order some online.

Oh, and I'll be growing yard-long beans up nets if/when we
can ever get things planted in the garden. In the last
month, we've only had ONE day that didn't rain, it's been
just terrible weather. My garden plans are seriously
delayed (so are everyone else's in the northeastern USA, I
think).

Pat