market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] New Member Intro

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: ARTTRADCH AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] New Member Intro
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 12:59:09 EDT

Subj: [Market-farming] New Member Intro
Date: 6/4/03 1:33:20 PM Central Daylight Time
From: pat AT meadows.pair.com
To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
Sent from the Internet

Hi,

Liz said I should introduce myself... so...

I'm Pat Meadows - planning to be a backyard market gardener.
I certainly wouldn't assume the title of 'farmer' - our
operations will be on a micromini-scale - but I hope to
learn from some of the farmers here.

This season we're getting set up (building raised beds, cold
frames, and hoophouse) and I'm practicing and experimenting.

Next summer, we intend to sell at a local farmers' market
and possibly at a larger regional farmers' market - mainly
salad greens and Asian veggies, and possibly other exotica.
I'm growing some miniature vegetables (Red Robin and Yellow
Canary tomatoes and mini-peppers) and hope to sell them as
plants, as well as selling some started vegetable seedlings.

We live in one of the colder areas of Zone 5, Pennsylvania's
Northern Tier, at an altitude of about 1700 feet.  Our local
climate is really more like Zone 4.

Pat

Hi, Pat,
Nancy, now under osakapurple AT yahoo.com . . . and as you can tell from the name, Asian greens and Asian veggies, are something I try to grow more of all the time in our small city lot in Illinois in zone 5.  This season, I've planted Mei Qing Pac Choi (a real favorite), Joi Choi Pac Choi, Hon Tsai Tai, Autumn Poem (one of our favorites), Vitamin Green, Shinguku, Red and Green Perilla, Osaka Purple, Thai Green Zebra Eggplant, Thai mouse dropping peppers, Thai Long Green Eggplant, Pintung Eggplant, etc.  (Also growing mini red and yellow bell peppers and "bambino" mini round purple eggplants, tiny red currant tomatoes.  As well as the more regular stuff including some great lettuce varieties and herbs.)  As most of the greens are brassicas I find them extremely easy to grow and very flavorful . . . and suited to small spaces.
I'd be interested to hear what varieties have worked out well for you.  We had no problems, except slugs tend to like the baby pac choi . . . and at the very end of the season, the Osaka Purple got a bit of a white spotted fungus.
Take care,  Nancy