market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] foreign invasion

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] foreign invasion
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 12:04:55 -0400

Liz Pike wrote:

If they or anyone else are growing the flowers themselves, then more power to
them. BUT that's not always the case, as you know Easter and Mothers Day are
two
of the biggest flowers selling days of the year, this year there was a well
planned and organized effort by Indian immigrants selling flowers on every
major
highway intersection. Those of us who grow greenhouse flowers know everyone in
the trade and we know the Indians did not grow their own. BTW its not only
Indians, lots of folks are looking for a easy way to make some tax free cash,
the Indians just got the best locations first.
As a flower grower I always get people just before the holidays looking to buy
quantities of plants, I can spot a reseller a mile away, I let them look and
drool over the plants and then I tell them the plants are not for sale...I
tell
them it took me thirty years and hundreds of thousands of dollars and most of
all a greater love for my work above the desire to get rich...I give them a
copy
of a greenhouse trade mag and tell them to learn to grow their own...and good
riddens.
Sunny Meadow Farm
underwater in
Bridgeton, NJ.