market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] foreign invasion

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] foreign invasion
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 08:56:00 -0400

> Well said, Michaele. And after all, aren't we all part of a foreign
> invasion at one time or another. That is, unless, we're Native
American...

Don't even go there. I suspected my post might be read as such, but I took
a chance on posting anyway because the issue greatly affected the farmers
selling at those markets to the point it has driven out all other cut flower
producers! My question was "is this an issue facing other farmers selling
across the country", not whether they had a right to sell because their
nationality. I need to know how you're coping with the issue if it affects
you. Thank you for Michaele for your input.
The booths were suspicious as re-sellers for the very reason the sellers
were ALL of one nationality, at more than one set-up, at more than one
market.

I don't deny the capitalistic opportunity to those so willing to play by the
rules no matter where they're born, but unless we're willing to stand up and
defend these opportunities, then we can kiss our way of life goodbye.

I met one teenager who was selling--and succeeding--in bedding plants no
less--in a market absolutely saturated with bedding plants. He's carved a
niche for himself, and by-pass the re-sellers...by playing by the rules.
His story is an inspiration and will be in the September issue of
marketfarming.com.

Liz Pike
Laughingbrook Farm
Westfield NC