market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pricing for Direct Sales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: mf AT austinfarm.org
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pricing for Direct Sales
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 12:01:51 -0500

> > get somewhere between 3 and 7 times the harvest and packing cost back
> > in sales. If a crop can not be sold for at least three times harvest
> > and packing cost, I avoid it. I am happy getting 5x and thrilled to get
>
> The post above is a great bit of practical information. When I buy on the

Well, I'm pleased to have generated some interest! Here are some more
pricing "rules of thumb" that I use.

I hire people to do farmers markets for me; I pay them 20%-25% of
sales, depending on the distance. They generally drive my trucks and
use my fuel. I sell a lot of the same items to grocery stores that I
sell at farmers markets; generally my grocery store price is about 1/2
of my retail farmers market price. Generally, grocery stores mark my
products up about 100%, so the retail prices are about the same.
Therefore, I end up with a bit more when selling at a farmers markets.
That better price helps offset the risk of bringing home unsold product
from farmers markets.

It is easiest for me to quantify harvest/packing costs on crops that
have long continuous harvests: okra, asparagus, blackberries, peppers,
spinach. Crops that can be stored and slowly sold at farmers markets
(potatoes, onions) have their own attraction.

--
Willie, ashamed that dixie chicks are from Austin
Are YOU an html abuser? http://www.expita.com/nomime.html