market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pricing for Direct Sales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Bob Crowder" <bob AT money-net.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pricing for Direct Sales
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 10:50:27 -0500

. With hired labor,I
> get somewhere between 3 and 7 times the harvest and packing cost back
> in sales. If a crop can not be sold for at least three times harvest
> and packing cost, I avoid it. I am happy getting 5x and thrilled to get

The post above is a great bit of practical information. When I buy on the
salvage markets what I look for is a value that I can get 10 times the
return on the purchase price. It is just a formula that works. That allows
enough for the trucking expensis, warehousing, prep of goods labor,
advertising and office expensis. And I suspect that on a small farm to
market to make a profit would not be that different. The 5 ot 7 is probably
modest.
To change a subject --- finanly got rain and everything that was late
planted appeared to be popping up out of the ground this morning.

BobC