market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Organizing seeds and planting

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Organizing seeds and planting
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 09:30:16 -0500

We organize our seeds in recycled cardboard boxes,with cardboard dividers
made from scrap cardboard and tape to "fit" seed envelopes, in families.
Within the sections in the box, the varieties are organized alphabetically
(at least when the season starts!) The front of the box has the family
(corn, beans and peas, lettuce and greens, brassicas, etc.) written on it in
black marker, and the boxes sit on book shelving in our office.

For planting dates, in winter for the spring/summer/fall, and in July or so
for the fall/winter, we make a list of everything we want to grow. Then, we
order seeds for the quantities. Then we use a form that we developed that
has three sections of lines on it. Each section can be dated, and has lots
of room to detail what needs to be done on that date. The forms are 3-hole
punched and put into a notebook in date order. That book only has to be
opened to a day to know what is scheduled. As a seed is added to our
planting forms, it is checked off on our "order" form to make sure we don't
miss anything. Once the task (seeding, transplanting, etc..) is finished, we
date when it was done in a different color ink, and through the season, go
back and make notes (i.e. this wasn't an early enough or too early date, not
enough seed purchased, etc.). With several years of these forms, each year
is easier to plan. Clear like mud, right?

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm