market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Scratching My Head

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <jgj23 AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Scratching My Head
  • Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 23:51:35 -0800 (PST)

Rick Williams wrote:
> If organic feed really is needed, it will be produced at the
> price point that the producers find economically viable. The
> users of the input simply HAVE to pay more, whether they like
> it or not. No different than any other product or service of
> the market.

This statement is based on the assumption that markets
are always moving towards equilibrium which is hardly the
case in this instance.

The perversion of the Organic Standards adopted by the USDA
by a large campaign contributor of some crooked politico is
what we have come to expect from U.S. agribusiness and
politicians who believe the audience is not watching.

It is always cheaper to get the standards changed and use
broad market substitutes for specialty products than it is
to buy the specialty products. Lack of availability is more
likely less of a reality than a desire by the feed lot operator
to pay less for inputs, yet reap a higher price due to the
sorry misunderstanding of consumers.

Smacks of Enron in my opinion.

What would you expect from the current administration?

Jay Gee
not a farmer - but interested in farming