market-farming - [Market-farming] ot (the constitution etc.)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh Hauter <lh AT pressroom.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] ot (the constitution etc.)
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 22:05:59 -0500

Rick wrote
I know that some of you here oppose the Constitution

Rick, I had promised myself I wouldn't tweak you when you said something foolish about 'the market' but this morning I couldn't help myself when you let your religion ('the market') drip over into the rules on organic grain. So I will stop, but please, don't also wrap yourself in a document that you obviously haven't recently read and have even less of an understand of its historical development.

Corporations are not mentioned in the original constitution. In fact, people like Jefferson and Madison would have been horrified to see that such a thing has been given the rights reserved for people. These two Virginians, the actual writers of the US Constitution and Bill of Rights, believed in human rights not business rights. I suggest you read some of their writings. Maybe even a biography or two would help.

Corporate persondom came about when a supreme court in the later part of the 19th century, packed with pro business and anti working people judges, interpreted the civil rights amendments enacted after the civil war as applying to abstractions created by legislators, ie. corporations. If you read the history and the intent of the writers of those amendments it is obvious that this was very far from their intend. However, that's politics and law.(and not 'free markets').