market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Also Scratching My Head

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Also Scratching My Head
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 18:10:32 -0600

> Proponents of the bill, including Baldwin, Ga.-based Fieldale
> Farms say that
> this step is necessary because organic feed is hard to come by

This has to be the most bizarre logic. The whole point of a market economy
is the complete opposite focus.

Organic feed may be hard to come by for a very good reason ... it is not
necessarily economically cost effective to produce it, and so it is not
produced. There is only one way to get the production up with normal market
signals ... and that is price.

The market needs to reward the producers of the wanted product and if
Fieldale Farms can't get make it with input higher prices, they may need to
go out of business and let a few small family farms replace them.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm
Direct marketed dairy beef and produce