market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Also Scratching My Head

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jill Taylor Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Also Scratching My Head
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 11:47:41 -0600

> What a novel approach to making organic easier to do although I'm still
> pondering the logic. Hmmm...
> Marc Nameth

I'm with you, Marc. I'm pondering it too.
Here's something folks can do if they want to bother with federal organic
labeling.
-Jill
************************
below is from the organic consumers association
Senator Leahy (D-VT) is introducing the Organic Restoration Act to
repeal this rider along with Representative Sam Farr (D-CA) in the
House. Both of these bills were introduced on February 26, 2003.

Co-sponsors are needed ASAP in the House AND Senate - both Republicans
and Democrats.

For the repeal bill to be successful, we must generate a lot of interest
and public comment on the Organic Restoration Act all across the nation.
It is important that everyone - farmers, consumers, environmentalists,
and the entire organic industry - talk to their members of Congress and
get them on board in supporting the Organic Restoration Act. We must
stand up to this blatant attempt by agribusiness to have their way with
the organic standards.

****What You Can Do - Take Action!******

Contact your representatives in Washington and demand that support the
Organic Restoration Act to repeal the language inserted into Section 771
of the Omnibus Appropriations Bill undermining the integrity of the
organic label for meat, poultry, eggs and dairy.

The message is simple: Urge your Senators and Representatives to support
the Organic Restoration Act that was introduced by Senator Patrick Leahy
and Representative Sam Farr to repeal Section 771 of the Omnibus
Appropriations Bill. Repealing this section is in the interest of
consumers, organic farmers and the environment. Repealing this section
will encourage continued growth of organic agricultural production in
the United States, one of the bright prospects for U.S. agriculture
overall.