market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Scratching My Head

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jill Taylor Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Scratching My Head
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 10:08:15 -0600

Still sifting through old messages, and came across this one between Marc
and Jay -

In studying what life was like in North America many years ago, I learned
that tribal peoples in some areas would "manage" the forests so as to make
them very attractive to deer and other wildlife upon which they lived. So
in some areas, they would purposefully set fire to the underbrush, which
would stimulate new tender growth, which deer love! The older trees would
remain.

And then we have the Burr Oak here in Wisconsin, that can withstand fire
well because of its bark. Burr Oaks aren't as prevalent, though, because
they lived on the edges of savannahs, and benefitted from periodic fires -
they are intolerant to shade. So, when savannah fires ended, then other
less fire-tolerant tree species proliferated, and the Burr Oak couldn't
survive as well. - Jill