market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Also Scratching My Head

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "marc" <marc AT aculink.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Also Scratching My Head
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 09:52:59 -0700

"Organic feed in question after Bush signs bill lowering standards
by Joshua Lipsky on 2/27/03 for www.meatingplace.com

The labeling language in an omnibus $397 billion spending bill signed by
President Bush late last week will allow livestock producers to certify and
label meat products as "organic" even if the animals were not raised on
organic feed.

Proponents of the bill, including Baldwin, Ga.-based Fieldale Farms say that
this step is necessary because organic feed is hard to come by (see "USDA
may consider loosening standards for organic poultry feed" Daily News, June
6, 2002). Critics of this bill said this will have significant effects on
the $10 billion-a-year organic food industry because it could reduce
overseas shipments of livestock products, particularly to Europe, where
organic standards are much stricter...................."

What a novel approach to making organic easier to do although I'm still
pondering the logic. Hmmm...

Marc Nameth