market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] OT: Bird house building and marketing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] OT: Bird house building and marketing
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 21:13:03 -0600

Bob from Sunny Meadow Farm wrote:
> Last year I made bluebird nesting boxes for my farm, I found
> many people coming to my farm stand amazed to see bluebirds for
> the first time. I plan to sell boxes hopefully this year. My best
> product endorsment are photos of bluebirds using my boxes. I use
> rough sawn 1x6 poplar treated with linseed oil and mounted on emt
> pipe, I can build these for under $5.00, don't know what I will
> charge for them yet

The materials cost is not bad. The labor of course is most of it. It is just
a small extra thing to have to sell. I would not go below $15 and $20 would
be more like it. If I got what I would have to have to equal off farm
income, (like most Farmers market products) it would have to be a lot more
than that:)

What we plan to do is have a flyer that explains the "features" on the
design. And promote construction of similar design. But I know that very few
will want to build your own.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams