market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Milk spore

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Milk spore
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 18:13:48 -0600

Oh, but look, milky spore isn't exactly new.

Isn't there any research on it?

Look, Bt has its own problems. Apparently not a problem for humans but a
problem for some other species. Nevertheless, I use it.

No one in farming wants to spend money on pesticides. An IPM approach is
always makes more sense when you are thinking about the cost effectiveness
of treating pests.

Jap Beetles... well, I don't want to see my Siberian Elm go down. That is
the value to a homeowner. Watching all the basil and beans I sell suffer
the consequences is another. Still, some plants and plantings produce well
in some infestations.

This depends on several factors.

I guess I like the idea behind milky spore. I just don't know how in an
area with the problems we have... gee what would it take to keep them under
control. And if not "control" what are the options?

Hell I'd cut down that Elm if it kept the JB's out of here for good. I'm
not going to quit growing basil and beans. Or maybe I should?

So what are the logical options for control?

Del Williams
Farmer in the Del
Clifton IL