market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Japanese beetles

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Japanese beetles
  • Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 15:48:00 -0600

Someone will correct me if I am recollecting incorrectly...

Jap Beetles will fly for 30 miles outside of their birth area.
How can you control JB's with milky spore in your own yard if your neighbors
and the town 10 miles up aren't doing the same?

A lot of people around here use the traps and I am more than happy to buy
all they want if they will put them on their farms. I don't want to
advertise that there is a Jap Beetle sex party going on at my place.

The JB's decimated my basil a few years ago. I have a Siberian Elm and it
might as well have been a Jap Beetle tree. Beautiful to look at... until
they all left a denuded tree.

My Ex sprayed it with some professional grade carbaryl one year and the
knockdown was unbelievable. I didn't spray last year and the tree seemed to
be ok. But still. I'm not trying to sell Siberian Elms. I just wanted to
sit on the deck without beetle dung wafting down into my hair. Disgusting
bugs.

I used an organic pesticide... mmmm... pyrethrum...on the beans and basil.
The knockdown was good but I had to spray pretty often. With some things I
put up barriers. Shade cloth because that is what I had at one point and
remay at another point.

Aesthetically and for harvesting I hate that option but you do what you have
to do. I just thought I was throwing a lot of money at pesticides.

Del Williams
Farmer in the Del
Clifton IL