market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Milk spore

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Milk spore
  • Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 12:19:27 -0600

I used organic pesticides and watched the insects during the knockdown.
Kind of bizarre.

Wondered the same things that you might have. What's the difference?

There are know effects from some insect killers and not so much on others.

Organic or otherwise. I can tell you about what I know about chemical...
assumed non-organic treatments. The organic industry hangs on to that. And
learns about their old preferences like Neem. We are all learning.

I don't think that you and I are going to persuade those who are only
thinking about production.

I don't know that we will ever successfully inform a public that thinks they
ought to have perfect vegetables. Most people don't know the difference
between grass fed beef any more than they would know to look for lot fed
beef. Same for chickens. It wasn't until I ate a few free range chickens
that I recalled the taste of chicken from my childhood.

As a kid, I don't remember trying to deal with a worm in an apple on a farm
in nothern Michigan. They were just good and 'free' apples.

I wonder about those folks who have spent their food consuming lives in
grocery stores and fast food or chain restaurant outlets. Do they actually
know what a strawberry tastes like? What they know is strawberry flavoring.

I suppose we ought to grow some good strawberries, chickens, cattle and
tomatoes... in our own best thought out production ways... and see if
people have a value about that.

Or, perhaps, give them a value like that. Only those in the know, you and
our friends here, have a good idea if what we are doing is good for the
health of others.... if that is our value.

Del Williams
snowed in
and lovin' it