market-farming - [Market-farming] Milk spore

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Milk spore
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 15:41:23 -0600

Robert Farr wrote:
> Milky spore is a fungal disease. Should be at any farm supply or
> gardening store.

It does make one wonder if there could be any possible long term health
effects toward other organisms, not to mention humans. I know that a lot of
people erroneously believe that if it is "natural" then it is wholesome for
humans, but in truth, it is not really that way in all things.

Although Milky Spore is NOT a fungal disease, and is not unlike a Bt type of
response from the organism, it is interesting that after all these years,
science still does not know exactly what causes the beetle to die. If there
are small amounts in the natural environment, we have little choice but to
accept it. But putting something like this in a garden and heaven forbid,
sprayed or otherwise placed on or even near products that will be consumed
by humans, is a bit of a concern.

I can understand using tiny amounts of something, and then only if really
needed, after thorough scientific evaluation. But I suspect some of these
treatments have not been analyzed in detail and are just assumed to be OK.

Wouldn't an IPM approach make more sense?

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm
Direct marketed dairy beef and produce