market-farming - [Market-farming] Steve Lucas Poem

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Marketfarming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Steve Lucas Poem
  • Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 16:00:06 -0600

Many of you probably read Steve's poetry from other lists, but in case you
have not:

Folks,

If you are like me, there are many days you just don't get off the farm or
ranch
because of chores, or things just go wrong, or what ever. So if you didn't
make it into town to get yer darlin' a Valentine present, feel free to
substitute your sweetheart's name and the end of the poem and use it at your
own risk.

Steve

A Cowboy's Valentine Card
Well, Darlin'

I reckon you've grown tired of hearin' me moan and groan and wine
and make up them excuses why I didn't get a valentine
card for you last year, and I guess the year before,
and the one before that,.... I guess you've been keepin score.

Of all them lame reasons that I had like snow and ice
and an old cow had trouble calvin' and helpin' Slim de-lice
that bunch of steers and heifers, and havin' to feed hay.
It's just hard to keep my focus on ol' St. Valentine's day.

It don't mean that I don't love you, why you give meaning to my life.
And I know it ain't been easy bein' an old cowboy's wife.
No, now I don't mean that you are old, its me I talkin' about
And you're sure one part of my life I couldn't live without.

And I made a resolution, back about a month ago
That there wern't nothin', not ice, or cows, or snow
That would keep me from gettin' down to the Five and Dime
And gettin' you a store bought card with a sentimental rhyme.

BUT

Well....when I got out this morning intendin' to go to town,
Wouldn't you just know it, the snow was coming down
And I had to feed the cows first, and then it just got late,
So I reckon that that fancy Valentine Card will just have to wait

Until this time next year when I will try another time
To get them hearts and roses on a store bought valentine.
'Till then I hope you'll believe me when I say
That I love you, Mom & Hannah
Happy Valentine's Day.

Steve

Steve Lucas