market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Jay Gee's ideal farm marketing approach and web site

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Caryl Elzinga" <alderspring AT salmoninternet.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Jay Gee's ideal farm marketing approach and web site
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 20:01:58 -0700

Jay Gee wrote:
Caryl,

Your post deserves a public reply because you are a newcomer
to this list.

*************

Jay- I guess as a newcomer to the list I've been put in my place??? :-)

Seriously, though I may be a newcomer to this list, I have subscribed and
participated in a number of other lists related to my profession for several
years, so I don't think I have breached any etiquette by criticizing your
response to Rick W. I subscribed to this list to learn about
direct-marketing of agricultural products. I have noted on this list
there's a great deal of free advice given--the exchange of information is
the purpose of lists such as these--and I appreciate it. Generalities are
OK, but specifics are always more useful. I have already learned a great
deal (I'm going to use Marc N.'s electric blanket idea to start my garden
seedlings this year!). I have and will ask many questions, hoping someone
else has been down the road and has found an answer they would be willing to
take the time to share. I'm not looking for a magic bullet or hand-holding.
I am fully aware that individual situations require individual solutions,
but sometimes hearing how another has solved a similar problem can spark
creativity. I belong to other lists where I can and do give my free input
(I'm a professional plant ecologist specializing in design of research
studies for long term monitoring of population and community trends); on
this list I have not much to offer, but will when I can.

I think that your suggestion of hiring a marketing firm and a web design
firm are unrealistic for most direct-marketers who tend to be small or
one-family operations with a net that barely provides a livable income.
Advertising $$ are few, and must be replaced where possible with creative
low-cost solutions.

Here's one we came up with that perhaps others could use:

We approached last week a chain that currently is in 4 locations within the
city where we do most of our marketing and that caters to the type of
clientele we are looking for. We proposed that they give out coupons that
give a discount on our product (hence my questions last week about
discounts) that read "Compliments of ***." The discount appears to be a
perk from the business, not from us, thus not devaluing our product or
creating an expectation of future discounts. The business owners were
excited about the idea, and even want us to demo our beef on their "new
customer" days in the lobby. While the samples cost, and the flyers and
informational materials cost, we reach our target audience with the eye to
eye contact so critical to direct marketing at a fraction of radio or
newspaper ads.

Let you know if it works. I would love to hear other's ideas.

Caryl