market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Greenhouse- milk jugs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: PATRICIASHERBS AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Greenhouse- milk jugs
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 18:27:39 EST

Marie,
    I'm not sure what you will be growing in it, and what temps are needed.
    For passive solar, I use 50 gallon plastic barrels on their sides, filled with water under my benches for about 120' total.  The 'free barrel source' ended before I got enough to complete the whole thing.  It does not provide enough release heat for that greenhouse, which is 75' x 20', and has solid, insulated 4' walls, and inflated bubble.   I keep potted tender herbs, fig trees, scented geraniums, etc. in it.  What the barrels do offer-  is to help with the night temps thus save me fuel $$, and since this heat is radiating up, I have found it great for propagating late summer cuttings.  Also, the barrel's did save plants when the heat went out one winter.  Lost a bit of foliage, but not the roots.
   I'd Google it.  Good Luck-
Patricia
theherbgarden.biz