market-farming - [Market-farming] selling grass-fed steaks

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower AT earthlink.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] selling grass-fed steaks
  • Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 10:07:26 -0500

Allison wrote:

You might want to target another market - pets.

If the dog-food producers aren't giving you a good price, try to target the "raw-foods" crowd for dogs and cats. It's becoming *huge* -- even "Dog Training for Dummies" has an entire chapter on feeding your dog raw food. It looks complicated to me, but folks are doing it -- and they DON'T want to go to the supermarket for the raw beef/lamb/whatever.

I can't suggest URLs, but I know there are several out there that explain how to put together a raw food diet for your pet -- do a google search and see if you can ride this speciality market!

I'm not feeding our puppy raw food yet, but I am purchasing bones from a farmer/butcher as I figure his grass-fed animals have less chance of giving Pepper "bugs" than supermarket meat bones. And those shrink-wrapped bones for dogs just look so silly -- but if folks are buying them in the supermarket, there must be a way for someone with animals to sell them, too.

BTW, picture of our now-8 month old Border Collie puppy to anyone who sends me their e-mail! :-) She starts "school" on Tuesday, so I'm hoping to have a helpful little dog this year out in the garden. Has anyone trained their dog to carry a basket for tools, berry harvesting, etc? It seems to be common for service dogs to do this, so I'm planning to teach Pepper to help me out this way. . .

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of