market-farming - [Market-farming] re: selling grass-fed steaks

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Caryl Elzinga" <alderspring AT salmoninternet.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] re: selling grass-fed steaks
  • Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 19:55:22 -0700

I wondered if Rick W's problem of moving steaks was common. We have the
opposite problem; steaks run out (we are usually cleaned out of tenderloins
within an hour of market start- this year we will charge more and put a 2
package limit per household per week). Our steaks are top quality, lean but
still very tender, comparable to the grain-fed high end steaks but with a
better taste (so our customers tell us). We try a low end steak from every
beef we sell to check for tenderness and flavor, but have never yet had to
pull a beef. I should note that our market is high-end and we have to
travel to get to it, but we would not be able to market the beef at all
locally (too many elk hunters and 3 year old beef bulls for sale cheap).

Anyone have creative ideas for moving the mountain of ground beef and
roasts?

Caryl