market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] re: selling grass-fed steaks

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Hopkins" <rdhopkins AT americanpasturage.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] re: selling grass-fed steaks
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 08:33:30 -0600

Lucy,

We do have a few pet food customers. These are mostly dogs diagnosed with
cancer. Customers want both beef and lamb, but prefer the ground meats.

There has been some liver sales to chemical free poultry growers as there is
a leg affliction that the liver can prevent. Getting into the pet food
market in Missouri is a lengthy process. The feed labeling is more rigid
than the food labeling.

We have had an organic dog food supplier talk to us about trimmings and
ground meats, but they want to pay less than $2 a pound for the product and
they wanted 800 pounds a week.

Rick H.