market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Leigh Hauter: claim that poultry are being fed homones

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <jgj23 AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Leigh Hauter: claim that poultry are being fed homones
  • Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 14:43:34 -0800 (PST)

Ed,

The question of trust has more to do with
truth in packaging than anything else.

For example, I would take at face value
a representation by any farmer or grower
that a product was free of additional hormones.
Hormone free is impossible when it comes
to meat.

When the package makes a statement, if
it is false, there is legal recourse. If the package
does not make the statement, a person's
representations to the contrary are unlikely
to sway me. After all, if it is good to be without
additional hormones, why not advertise it?

I trust the farmer/grower who puts it on the
package.

For most people, myself included, growing
all of my own food is not an option.

If I had to do that, when would I have time left to
share my pearls of advertising and marketing
wisdom with you all? (-;

Be well and good weather to you,

Jay Gee
not a farmer - but interested in farming