market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Leigh Hauter: claim that poultry are being fed homones

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Leigh Hauter: claim that poultry are being fed homones
  • Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 16:56:29 -0500

As far as I know no hormones are used in the production of meat poultry.
That fast growth and big breasts are a marvel of Scientific Breeding.

I raise the same breed organically and get 5 pound dressed birds in 7 to
8 weeks. Hormones would be expensive and make them grow too fast and
probably would lead to greater mortality rates and thus cut into the
bottom line.

Lucy Goodman
New Paris, OH
>Boulder Belt Organics
Looking for local food? Check out
http://www.localharvest.org
We have, I fear, confused power with greatness
Stewart I. Udall