market-farming - [Market-farming] Two questions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Marketfarming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Two questions
  • Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 18:54:37 -0600

Hope everyone is having a great Holiday season. A bit on the warm (hot?)
side here in Wisconsin with temps over 40 F today.

Here are a couple of questions that I wonder if anyone can help with:

1). This year Judy froze a bunch of corn on the cob in plastic zip type
bags. She followed a recommended procedure of blanching for 7 to 10 minutes
depending upon ear size, draining on terry cloth and placing in bags and
freezing. When we attempted to eat the corn it was not very good. It was
picked at peak of perfection but tasted more like field corn. It was bad
enough that we could not eat it and had to return the contents to the
compost pile.

Some of the same corn had the corn kernels cut off the cob after blanching
for 4 minutes and frozen in a similar manner. It is fantastic. Something
that is NOT available in any store:)

Anyone have better experiences with the full cob corn or do you find the cut
kernels just work better?

2) This year we will have an expanded crop of strawberries. We are trying to
extend the season as much as we can because frankly, berries are out biggest
money maker crop. We had three varieties last year that we are going to
continue with:
Early Glo (early bearing cultivar), Honey Eye (medium), and Jewel (late
bearing). They did seem to come closer together than we would have
preferred. Judy usually doesn't do much with removing the winter mulch from
the plants. We did find that the first two cultivars were hardly any
difference in fruit maturity.

Do you recommend uncovering all the cultivars as early as possible? Or
letting the later ones grow up through the mulch which has normally been OK
but perhaps it delays things too much? Anyone have experience on getting a
longer bearing season?

Also, for an everbearing that we plan to pinch off blossoms, we are likely
going to select Ozark Beauty. Anyone have other recommendations for an
everbearing that will primarily be a very late fruit producer? Any pitfalls?

Thanks for your help. Before we know it a new season will be here.

Sincerely,

Rick and Judy Williams
Misty Ridge Farm
Direct marketed dairy beef and produce