market-farming - [Market-farming] Return-Address-Spoofing Viruses

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dave Lilligren" <dave AT lilligren.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Return-Address-Spoofing Viruses
  • Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 09:02:16 -0600

Yes, there are some viruses that actually change the "from" address. A
classic example is the Klez virus. What makes that one so insidious is that
it doesn't only look at your address book but at your temporary Internet
files (i.e., your Internet cache) for "mailto:"; items.

I have a particular e-mail address that was on a web page, which I never
ever used in composing a message. About three months ago I removed it from
my website. Up till now, I still get replies to that address launched by
the Klez virus because folks who have visited that page had that mailto
address cached in their browsers and later got the virus.

The bummer is that folks think that you are the one with the virus!

Hope this helps,

Dave Lilligren
Sandstone, MN