market-farming - [Market-farming] Jelly recipes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Jelly recipes
  • Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 16:56:13 -0600

Here are the recipes (both are double batches and I've not had a problem
with the jelly setting up):

Garlic jelly

1 cup fresh garlic, finely chopped
4 cups white wine vinegar
11 cups sugar
6 cups water
2 pkg. Powdered pectin
1/2 teaspoon butter or oil

Combine garlic and vinegar in a 4 quart kettle. Simmer mixture gently,
uncovered, over medium heat for 15 minutes. Remove pan from heat and pour
mixture into a glass jar. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 24 -
36 hours (mine stood longer but I don't remember how long). Pour flavored
vinegar through a wire strainer into a bowl, pressing the garlic with the
back of a spoon to squeeze out liquid. Discard residue.

Measure the liquid and add vinegar, if needed to make 2 cups (I actually
ended up with more than two cups and just reduced the water).

Measure sugar into a dry bowl. Combine the garlic-vinegar solution and the
water in a large kettle. Add pectin, stirring well. Over high heat, bring
mixture to boil, stirring constantly to avoid scorching. Add sugar and stir
well. Bring mixture to full rolling boil. Add butter to reduce foaming,
continue stirring. Boil the mixture hard for exactly 2 minutes. Remove pan
from heat and skim off any foam. Pour into prepared (washed and kept hot)
jelly jars. Seal according to directions on recipe folder in pectin
package. (I don't process, just the hot pack method and never have a
problem with sealing.)

My last batch made 15 half-pint jars.

Jalapeno Apricot Jelly

1 cup jalapenos, stems and seeds removed
(since this was kind of vague I used 12 good size jalapenos)
2 large red bell peppers, stems and seed removed
4 cups cider vinegar
3 cups chopped dried apricots (cut with scissors and then chop in a food
processor)
12 cups sugar
2-3oz. Bags of liquid pectin

Chop bell peppers and jalapenos in food processor until well chopped, small
chunks are fine. Combine, peppers, apricots, sugar and vinegar in large
kettle. Bring to a boil. Boil rapidly for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and
skim off any foam ( 1/2 tsp. Of butter added will reduce the foam also).

Allow mixture to cool for two minutes. Then mix in pectin.

Pour into prepared jars as above.

Last batch on this made 20 - half-pint jars plus some.

We do samples to help sell both of these - just put them on cream cheese and
folks gobble it up!

Joan
Windwalker Farm
Ottawa, Kansas