market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Question re: value-added

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Robert Farr <rbfarr AT erols.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Question re: value-added
  • Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 18:53:05 -0500

Nicole:

I built my own commercial kitchen this past year. Until then, we had
one of our two kitchens in the house certified (by the Virginia Dept. of
Food Safety).

We make acidified foods - adding vinegar or lime to bring down the pH -
and are just starting to make jams and jellies (many of which are not
regulated by the FDA, btw).

For info on value-added procesing, check out www.cfsan.fda.gov. Great
site, big help, good people.

--
Robert Farr
The Chile Man

* A sustainable farm producing hot sauce marinades, salsas, mustards,
and barbecue.
* Subscribe to our online newsletter at http://www.thechileman.com
* Check out this article about us from The Washington Post:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/style/food/A8659-2001Jul17.html
* Open Houses and Farm Tours throughout the year. See our web site for
details!