market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] fall crop questions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: "'market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] fall crop questions
  • Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 10:59:01 -0600

Bob,
Your problem is most likely the very unusually high amount of rainfall we
have gotten this fall. Your transplants were also a little late. Here in
SC KY, we try to get them in by the first week of August (8 week
transplants) and we have had broccoli since mid-October (an early variety,
Signal). However, that said, our cauliflower, which is always great in the
fall shows no signs of heads, and we usually have it for Thanksgiving. Our
broccoli heads have really suffered in the rain, and our cabbage as well.
Next year will be better - I can't imagine having this much rain again
anytime soon.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm
Smiths Grove, KY