market-farming - delivery program

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: delivery program
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 09:58:47 -0500

Phil wrote:

About half of this acreage is sweet corn, and I need to increase that for
next year. We do not have a CSA but have toyed with the idea for a couple
of
years, but we are doing 6 farmers markets a week with two of them on
Saturday, we also have had some home delivery on large orders, over $50,
which I was really surprised how many orders we did get last year. We let
the customer email us with some of the orders, which really works good.
When
we make a delivery I leave a list of items that will be ready next week,
then
they email us for the next weeks delivery.

Phil I think your market farm sounds great as is. Lots of farmers markets
and your new venture into deliveries. CSA is not something we all have to
do just like I am not doing farmers markets (sort of would like to but ah
the unknown). I say for now it sounds like your delivery program has real
potential. I bet if you let it be know to some/all of your farmers market
folks you could increase the amount. Also give thought to a small delivery
fee. We are all used to paying for postage, delivery so I don't think
they'd mind, especially if not too expensive. You deserve it because even
if you are on your way to somewhere else you have to leave earlier and
detour to the hoards of customers you will have :).

Cut flowers ah thats something I'd like to explore partially because I just
love them and I think if you work with what you love you are one step in the
right direction. But as with any crop its a learning curve. I planted more
flowers last year in a separate area, away from CSAs cut flower area. I
marketed a few to a coop and enjoyed them myself but mostly was learning how
x grew. Think I will continue next year, finding a market is next. I
probably should try an honor system beside road thing I know many have said
this works.
I do recommend the book by Lynn Byczynski The Flower Farmer. I got it from
Library. I liked enough that I may buy it. It had nice lists of suggested
flowers to grow and handling instructions.
Happy growing Beth