market-farming - Re: CSA risks

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: CSA risks
  • Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 06:31:18 -0500

I look at CSA as an investment and like Liz said, Wall St. don't give
refunds.

Personally I can't afford health insurance much less some sort of CSA
crop insurance as this farming thing ain't making us rich monetarily
(but we are wealthy in, oh so, many more important ways)

In the past we have bartered for health care (my husband popped a hernia
on June a few years ago and we had the surgery done for two CSA
memberships (one to the Doc and one to the anethesis) and I would love
to get a doctor on retainer for a year's worth of shares (our CSA does 4
different shares cycles over a 40 week period of 10 weeks each) as a
form of health insurance.

Otherwise I make it very clear there are no refunds because of crop
failure of the farmers getting injured/sick, members not picking up
food/being around etc. That when a person becomes a member of the CSA
they are taking on the risk of farming with us, i.e. they are investing
in the CSA and all investments have quite a bit of risk. Though CSA is a
lot lower risk than the stock market these days :-)

My Husband, Eugene, and I have been toying with changing the term CSA to
something along the lines of a Food/Farm Investment Club (FFIC) where
your dividends come weekly in the form of fresh food and other farm
goodies. We figure folks are more motivated by money (investing) things
than food and this puts investing along side food.

Lucy Goodman-Owsley
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH

Looking for a CSA, Farmer's market or other venue for fresh local food?
Check out
http://www.localharvest.com

It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong

Voltaire (1694-1778)

  • CSA risks, gutierrez-lagatta, 11/15/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: CSA risks, Liz Pike, 11/15/2002
    • Re: CSA risks, jeffery uhlig, 11/15/2002
    • Re: CSA risks, Lucy Goodman, 11/16/2002