market-farming - Re: AgrAbility Project

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: AgrAbility Project
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 08:19:55 -0600

Jane - yes its possible to start farming in mid-life. We moved from
Leawood, Kansas 15 years ago to our farm south-west of Ottawa (just south of
where you are moving). I'd only grown tomatoes on the side of the house -
no training or experience. I dabbled with gardens when we moved here and
decided to try seriously growing food in '94 (I was 52 then). By '95 I had
started a CSA which grew to 28 members by '97 - and totally burned me out.
For two years I just grew tomatoes for a salsa project. Then tried the
farmers' market route. We've been selling at the Barstow Organic Market for
three years and are now moving that market and essentially starting up a new
one in Brookside. I love it - wouldn't do anything else!

Its sure worth a try! By the way - we are doing the Unity church farmers'
market on Sundays on the Plaza - come see us sometime -

Joan
Windwalker Farm
Ottawa, Kansas

  • AgrAbility Project, Jane Cigard, 11/14/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: AgrAbility Project, Joan Vibert, 11/15/2002