market-farming - Spam warning

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mckemie AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Spam warning
  • Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 04:57:14 -0600

"Talking" about websites this morning brought to mind something else
related but worthy of mention. I find that I am getting a noticeable
amount of spam addressed to all the <maillist>-request AT austinfarm.org
addresses that are mentioned in mailto:s on the web page. It seems
almost certain that bots are pulling these addresses off of web pages.
So, my recommendation is that if you post an email address on your web
page, be prepared to deal with the spam. My mailist request addresses
are routed to a spamcop.net address that deals with it for me.

If you need to post an email address, it seems that replacing "@" with
" at " and "." with " dot " confuses the bots. So far.

It does seem like we may have turned the corner on spam and that the
bigger spammers will eventually get sued out of existence.

--
Willie from one of the largest single-user all-Linux networks in Dale.
Are YOU an html abuser? http://www.expita.com/nomime.html