market-farming - Re: websites

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mckemie AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: websites
  • Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 04:36:44 -0600

> from personal experience. First, using something like angelfire, though
> inexpensive, is also guaranteed to cause you to miss a lot of your
> audience.
> For example, if people find you through search engines, the major search
> engines usually do not monitor the free sites since they feel they will
> probably not be around all that often (and it is true: folks who use them
> usually either get a com address or stop maintaining the site). Second,
> for what it is worth, most people using the internet feel that if a
> business
> does not have a .com (or .bis or whatever) address, it is not a serious
> business.

I don't doubt that all that is true. I registered my domain name after
a free piggy-back deal disappeared. One of my customers had a always
on dialup connection and he was running a web server through it; my URL
was something like http://<customerusername>.<isp>.com/<myname>.
Somewhat complicated. When his always on connection went away, I was
left with a non-functioning URL, a bunch of outdated literature and some
confused customers. The registered domain allows me to change hosts
without pain.

--
Willie from one of the largest single-user all-Linux networks in Dale.
Are YOU an html abuser? http://www.expita.com/nomime.html