market-farming - Re: websites

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mckemie AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: websites
  • Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 04:21:03 -0600

> Secondly, if you shop around, you can find a decent web site host for a
> fairly reasonable price and usually you can buy a com address there for
> $25-30 for two years (if I remember, the actual cost for a web site is
> $6.00
> from the source; the remainder is the profit resellers make). I use
> something called Netfronts which is $17/ month with a shopping cart. It
> must be less if you don't use a shopping cart.

For hosting, I can recommend http://dzones.com; they are about $80/year
plus name registration. Several years ago, my previous host was down
for about a week before I decided to switch. Within a couple of hours, I
was signed up with dzones and had my web page loaded and available online
via the IP number; the next day, nameservers were referring requests to
the new IP number. I don't use a "shopping cart" and don't recall if
the $80 includes it, probably not.

For a dialup ISP, I can recommend http://access4less.net; they are
$6/month for semi-unlimited access (they kick you off every 5 hours); I
have been using them now for 6 or 8 months with good results.

--
Willie from one of the largest single-user all-Linux networks in Dale.
Are YOU an html abuser? http://www.expita.com/nomime.html