market-farming - Re: Row Covers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Row Covers
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 07:52:43 -0500

> We use #9
> gauge wire for hoops and weigh down the edges with rocks and bricks
> placed about every 2' to 4'.
I will mention again that I purchased the red row cover stakes a year and a
half ago from Johnny's and I would never want to be without them. I've also
used the metal ground staples but they are much harder to find in the
ground. The red stakes stand out - are easy to pull up when uncovering the
bed (I just leave them in their hole and toss the whole length of the row
cover over onto the other side) and easy to replace.

The best part is that if (and I know no one else would do this) you hit one
with the tiller it does no damage, whereas I've definitely heard about the
rocks, bricks I've hit and the ground staples I've wrapped around the tines.

Joan
Windwalker Farm
Ottawa, Kansas