market-farming - Re: Row Covers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mckemie AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Row Covers
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 05:13:08 -0500

> I had a bed of brocolli raab simply burnup under relatively light
> remay (sorry, I don't know the guage, but I do know that the deer
> tore it readily when they walked on it. From this I decided that row
> covers couldn't be used in August or July on non-heatloving crops.
>
> I'd like to hear other people's experiences.

I've used covers only once, a couple of years ago. I intended it for
early Spring frost protection, but intended also to leave it on for
insect protection. Every night deer are working my fields; the row
cover made it easy to see their paths. My dogs also contributed to
the problem. Periodic high winds ripped the material. Within a month,
the whole field was in tatters. Anyway, the cover material fell apart
far to rapidly to be cost effective in my application. I don't recall
what weight I used, no doubt should have used heavier.

Has anyone used material that is heavy enough not to be punctured by
deer hooves? I know, control of the deer is a better solution.

--
Willie
Are YOU an html abuser? http://www.expita.com/nomime.html