market-farming - Re: Row Covers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Row Covers
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 06:41:26 -0400

The leaf crops (lettuce, mustards, spring mix, arugula) benefited the
most. The yields go up and the leaf quality is great (thinner, more
delicate) and they are harvestable earlier. Granted we did not grow the
leaf crops in July or August because we thought we couldn't afford the
water and didn't have the energy to get beds ready and planted. I
suspect these crops would do as well under white row covers as they
would under black shade cloth.

I had a bed of brocolli raab simply burnup under relatively light remay (sorry, I don't know the guage, but I do know that the deer tore it readily when they walked on it. From this I decided that row covers couldn't be used in August or July on non-heatloving crops.

I'd like to hear other people's experiences.

-Allan
in Virginia